Sunday, November 18, 2012

Introduction & Batch 1

I assume that most of the people who will find this blog will do so based on their familiarity with my Beer Review Blog, called Beer Reviews by Prof Sudz. Both blogs essentially serve the same purpose, which is to give myself a place to keep notes about my beer related experiences (I find that the more I drink, the less I remember about it).

There is one essential difference though: I have been reviewing beers and drinking beers for about 10 years now, and have tried between two and three thousand different beers over the years. So, in my opinion at least, what I have to say about someone else's commercial beers is potentially interesting for other people.

However, while I have helped other people brew at home numerous times over the years, I just recently purchased my own equipment. So I am a beginner brewer, and am far more in need of the help of others than I am in a position to offer any advice. So this blog is more of a personal journal, and a record of my mishaps and any successes that may occur.

I would love for others to read it and offer advice or their own stories, but I am predicting, at least until I get to be any good, that it will not have as wide of an appeal as my other blog does.

I intend to keep better records of my future recipes, but my first batch was put together by a friend of mine who is very experienced in homebrewing. I also cooked it under his supervision, and was more concerned about absorbing the steps than I was of taking detailed notes about the recipe.

Batch #1 - American IPA

But here are the rough parameters of the beer:

I believe there were 6 oz of hops, 2 of them dry hopped. Columbus was the predominant strain, although there were 3 varieties overall.

I believe there was 9 pounds of pale malt and one pound of honey, but I'm guessing. The point is, it wasn't a complex malt bill.

Two packs of dry yeast Safale US-05.

Today, as I write this, I am about to go to the store and get the remaining things I need to bottle the beer, and then hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be ready to go. How I will work this blog is to describe the ingredients and process originally, and then when the beer is ready to be consumed, I will update the post and write a review much like my normally reviews, so that I can get a good sense of how it turned out

No comments:

Post a Comment